There are three main types of sedation available which include:
- Oral sedation which is taken in the form of prescription pills
- Nitrous oxide gas, also known as laughing gas, which is administered by the dentist
- IV sedation, which is also administered by the dentist through intravenous injection
Depending on the kind of procedure you are undergoing and your own personal requirements, the dentist will decide which type is best for you. At All Dental, we administer oral sedation and nitrous oxide gas when our patients require sedation for a procedure.
In what situations is sedation used?
Sedation in dentistry is used for a number of reasons. Some of them include:
- To help anxious patients relax during a dental procedure
- To help people with dental phobia undergo dental procedures
- To dull the pain of certain procedures like root canals or a tooth extraction
- To calm down patients with clinical anxiety disorders
- When a patient is allergic to local anesthesia